Monday, 25 March 2013 09:26
People with an odd sense of humor can find fun in almost anything. That includes me. And more than 30 years as an editor helps find the funnies.
Here are some oddities and sillies from last weekend’s coupon fliers.
* Sargento now makes “Ultra Thin” cheese slices with only 45 calories per slice. The sandwich in the photo has at least four slices of cheese on it.
* “Get lots of protein” says the ad for Mountain High ”Original style yoghurt”. 10 grams per serving. The Greek yogurt in our fridge has 18 grams per 6-ounce serving.
Before we had Greek Yogurt we had “yogurt cheese.” Put a coffee filter in a strainer and pour in 32 ounces of yogurt then put it over a bowl. Put it in the fridge and in the morning you have “Yogurt cheese.” Today it’s called Greek yogurt. The liquid is whey and it can go in pancakes or drinks or soups. To be fair . . .some Greek yogurts are fermented longer than plain for more body and bite.
* The heading on an ad for Totino’s Rolls Snacks says “ In just 60s, you can’t get more Italian” How long is “60s”? Or is that an age?
* Ronzoni pastas now come in bagged portions ready to drop into boiling water for three minutes. Restaurants have been doing this for years. Portion mostly-cooked pasta and either bag it or wrap in plastic. Drop the pasta into boiling water for a minute or two and drain.
* Degree Expert Protection is what we used to call deodorant or antiperspirant. Now it’s getting so smart. “With motionsense. The more you move the more it works.”
Do read the small print on the coupon. Maximum of 2 identical coupons per shopping trip.
* Here’s my favorite silly of the weekend.
Bob Evans Mac ‘n Mashtini. It’s mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, ham, Cheddar cheese, bread crumbs and parsley layered in a martini glass.
Find something silly? Send it along as a comment and we can all get a laugh.